Friday, January 18, 2013

How to apply a smooth coat of polish

Hi everyone!

I am super ashamed that I've left this blog to rot for half a year! D:  Was busy and all with school and travel, but hey! I am back! :D

Let me start off where I had stopped in June 2012...

Well, most of us do not have that amount of time to book an appointment with the manicurist for a session. Thus, we need to DIY yeah? So, how to apply a smooth coat of polish just like those manicurists?

I have been to adequate amount of visits to the salons and I always watch how they do it. And, I went home and tried it myself, IT WORKED!!!!

Firstly, ensure that your nail polish isn't clumpy(duh, if not it won't be smooth). If it is clumpy, try using a lacquer thinner to solve it. Next, ensure that your nail is smooth! With all those ridges on your cuticle it is not helping in achieving a smooth coat trust me. It is because when you apply polish on your nail, the polish will flow according to the curvature of your nail, so it is important to regularly buff your nails to ensure that!

Enough with the saying and let's get started!


****Always ensure that the polish on your brush is at the 1/4 end.****


One of the common mistake that we made is loading a huge amount of polish (picture below) on the brush. This will cause overloading and while you apply, the air will get contact with the polish and hence dry faster, giving you a clumpy, sticky finish. 



So once you load your brush, apply the middle portion of your nail.



Follow by one of the side...



And the other side.... At this stage, you could clearly see that there are overlapping on the nail, but it is okay! The application of the 2nd layer will solve the problem.


Apply the middle portion again...


Follow by the side (Note: the first side that you applied initially)


And finish up with the other side...


There go you! A perfect polished nail!


It may take awhile to get the hang of it. But that is normally how I apply my nails and it really gives a
smooth coat!

Another thing I may want to add is that, usually people would shake the nail bottle before using.
But do you know it is actually bad for your polish? By shaking, you introduce air into the bottle, which causes bubbles to form. Especially to base coats and top coats (why would you shake them?).

ROLL THEM. Yes, roll them between your hands as if you are kneading a long strip of dough.

In addition, when you are loading polish to the brush, do not pump your brush into the bottle too many times! By the mascara law, you are pumping air into the bottle as well.


When I was in Seoul in December, I found this amazing thing in FaceShop!!  Nail Dry Cover!!
It is like one of the best invention for nail art ever!!!



 All you need to do is to put these on after you apply your nails! It prevents them from 'accidents'.


See! I could even use the thing to scratch my head. AWESOME!!



I have been sourcing ways to make nail art a more enjoyable hobby! I hope that you have learnt a thing or two from this post!!!

:D


No comments:

Post a Comment